Uganda suffers a second deadly explosion in less than 48 hours of the previous blast

Spread the love


Shock as  one person died and several were wounded in an explosion on Monday on a bus near the Ugandan capital Kampala, police said, as President Yoweri Museveni suggested it was caused by a bomb.

The UPDF Spokesperson  Brigadier Flavia Byekwaso says its wrong for the Public to blame Security Forces for the on going blasts. She said this during the KFM hot seat last evenning.However, she put the blame on to people who  continue to work even during curfew hours. She says, their work  is to protect Citizens but cannot commit to full protection.

The Ugandan police are investigating the explosion on a long-distance bus that killed one person Monday, the second fatal blast in less than 48 hours in the East African country.

Islamic State claimed responsibility for a bomb attack that killed at least one person in Uganda’s capital Kampala on Saturday.

The militant group announced their involvement in a statement posted in an affiliated Telegram channel on Sunday, Reuters reported.

Some of its members, the IS group said, detonated an explosive device in a bar where “members and spies of the Crusader Ugandan government were gathering.”

The bus was traveling from the capital, Kampala, to the western part of Uganda

Another explosion in the capital on Saturday killed one person and injured three others, which police called an “act of domestic terror” and for which the Islamic State group claimed responsibility.

Ugandan police spokesman Fred Enanga said bomb specialists were sent to Lungala after Monday’s deadly explosion in a bus belonging to the firm Swift Safaris around 5 pm (1400 GMT).

He said in a statement that two people had died, but the police later tweeted a correction, saying that one person had been killed.

Police Spokesperson Commissioner Fred Enanga.

Enanga said several people had been injured and they were being evacuated from the area.

“The scene has been cordoned off pending a thorough assessment and investigation by the bomb experts,” he said.

The cause of the blast was not immediately known. Police said in a statement they dispatched bomb experts to the scene in central Uganda.

Initially, police had said two people on the bus were killed but later said there had been one death, without explaining the revision. They made no mention of injuries, but the Red Cross, which sent ambulances, said at least one person was injured in the leg.

On Saturday, a bomb explosion at an eatery in a busy Kampala suburb killed one person. The Islamic State group claimed responsibility for that attack.

The extremist group said in a statement late Sunday that it detonated an explosive device at the eatery allegedly “frequented by elements and spies” with Uganda’s government.

Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni described Saturday’s explosion as an apparent terrorist act.

Museveni said three people entered the eatery where pork is grilled and left a plastic bag with contents that later exploded. Police have not announced any arrests.

The British government updated its travel guidance for Uganda this month to say extremists “are very likely to try to carry out attacks.”


Enanga gave no more detail on the suspected causes of the explosion.

Museveni suggested earlier that the fatality could have been a person handling a bomb.

“The Police are investigating whether the person blown up was the one carrying the bomb or not,” the president tweeted.

“Preliminary reports say that the blast was from the seat and it killed only that person and injured the one who was sitting behind,” he said.

“The remaining 37 other passengers were safe plus the driver,” Museveni said.

Lungala is about 35 kilometres (22 miles) west of Kampala, on one of the country’s busiest roads linking Uganda with Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and the Democratic Republic of Congo.


Scroll to Top