Sunday, July 5We Break the News
Shadow

EUROPE

THE UK: Haile Selassie Statue former Ethiopian leader destroyed in London park.

THE UK: Haile Selassie Statue former Ethiopian leader destroyed in London park.

Ethiopia, EUROPE, UNITED KINGDOM
A statue of former Ethiopian leader Haile Selassie has been destroyed in a park in Wimbledon, south-west London. Police are investigating the incident, which took place in Cannizaro Park on Tuesday evening. The damage to the bust was carried out by a group of around 100 people, according to an eyewitness. It appears to be linked to unrest in Ethiopia sparked after a popular singer, Hachalu Hundessa, was shot dead earlier this week. Demonstrations following his death saw a statue of royal prince Ras Makonnen Wolde Mikael, the father of Selassie, Ethiopia's last emperor, torn down in the eastern city of Harar. Hachalu's songs focused on the rights of Ethiopia's Oromo ethnic group and he had been a prominent voice in anti-government protests that led to a change in leadership ...
CORONAVIRUS: Health experts warn the UK for ‘second wave’

CORONAVIRUS: Health experts warn the UK for ‘second wave’

CORONAVIRUS, EUROPE, HEALTH, UNITED KINGDOM
K health experts are calling for an urgent review to ensure Britain is properly prepared for the "real risk" of a second wave of coronavirus. MPs have been warned that urgent action is needed to prevent further loss of life and to protect the economy amid growing fears of a renewed outbreak over the winter. The appeal is backed by the presidents of the Royal Colleges of Physicians, Surgeons, GPs and Nursing - as well as the chairman of the British Medical Association. It comes after Prime Minister Boris Johnson announced yesterday the biggest easing to date of the coronavirus lockdown in England. He said the two-metre social distancing rule would be replaced with a "one-metre plus" rule paving the way for pubs, restaurants, hotels and cinemas to begin reopening from ...
EUROPE: Belgian Prince Joachim tests positive to Covid-19  after lock-down party.

EUROPE: Belgian Prince Joachim tests positive to Covid-19 after lock-down party.

Belgium, CORONAVIRUS, COVID-19, EUROPE
Prince Joachim, 28, travelled from Belgium to Spain for an internship on 26 May, the palace said. Two days later, he went to a party in the southern city of Córdoba, before testing positive for Covid-19. Spanish reports suggest the prince, a nephew of Belgium's King Philippe, was among 27 people at the party. Under Córdoba's lockdown rules, a party of this size would be a breach of regulations, as gatherings of no more than 15 people are currently permitted. Spanish police have launched an investigation into the party. Those found to have flouted lockdown rules could be fined up to €10,000 (£9,000; $11,100). Everyone who attended the party is said to be in quarantine. Prince Joachim, the youngest son of Princess Astrid and 10th in line to the Belgian throne, is said to have...
EUROPE: Greece to open up Lock-down  in 2 weeks, but not to the UK.

EUROPE: Greece to open up Lock-down in 2 weeks, but not to the UK.

CORONAVIRUS, COVID-19, EUROPE, Greece, The UK
Greece is to open up to tourists from 29 countries in two weeks - but not those travelling from the UK. Tourists from EU countries including Germany, Austria, Denmark and Finland will be able to visit from 15 June, the tourism ministry said in a statement on Friday. But some of the world's worst-affected countries - including the UK, France, Italy and Spain - are not on the list. More countries could be added before 1 July, the ministry added. Only airports in Athens and Thessaloniki will open on 15 June. Tourists from 16 EU countries will be allowed into the country, including the Czech Republic, Baltic countries, Cyprus and Malta. Other countries include China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Israel and Lebanon. Some visitors could be tested for Covid-19 on...
EUROPE: PM Cummings might have broken lock-down rules says police.

EUROPE: PM Cummings might have broken lock-down rules says police.

COVID-19, EUROPE, FEATURE STORIES
he PM's top aide Dominic Cummings might have broken lockdown rules, but it would have been a "minor breach", say Durham Police. His journey from London to Durham was within the law, the force said. His later trip to Barnard Castle "might have warranted a police intervention," the force added, but it would not be taking any action now. Downing Street said the PM now "regards this issue as closed" - but Labour and the SNP still want Mr Cummings sacked. Mr Cummings has insisted he acted "reasonably" and within the law over his 260-mile journey from London to Durham to isolate with his wife, as well as the 50-mile round-trip to Barnard Castle 15 days later. About 40 Tory MPs called for Mr Cummings to resign or be fired for undermining the government's lockdown message. But t...
EUROPE: The UK Prime Minister makes a second Lock down trip, he faces fresh allegations.

EUROPE: The UK Prime Minister makes a second Lock down trip, he faces fresh allegations.

CORONAVIRUS, COVID-19, EUROPE, UNITED KINGDOM
He and the government had said he acted "reasonably and legally" by driving from London to County Durham while his wife had coronavirus symptoms. Reports say he was seen a second time in the North East, after recovering from his own Covid-19 symptoms and returning to work in London. No 10 said the story is "inaccurate". Ministers said Mr Cummings and his wife had chosen to self-isolate at a property adjacent to other family members in case they needed help with childcare. Speaking to reporters outside his home in London on Saturday, he said he would not be resigning and had done the "right thing" by travelling 260 miles with his wife and young son to be near relatives when she developed Covid-19 symptoms at the end of March. Transport Secretary Grant Shapps justified the a...
Coronavirus – UK: First Bus brings in changes including new ticket payment rules

Coronavirus – UK: First Bus brings in changes including new ticket payment rules

CORONAVIRUS, EUROPE, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, Travel, UK, UNITED KINGDOM
BRISTOL --- Social distancing measures were trialled on the number 24 buses in Bristol. Passengers travelling on First Bus services have been advised of changes including new preferences on payment and a "ground-breaking counting facility". Stricter measures have been rolled out this week by First West of England to protect passengers and bus drivers amid the coronavirus pandemic. Although people are still being discouraged from going on public transport, those who rely on it are being asked to adhere to safety precautions. In a statement this afternoon (Wednesday), First said it had installed a "ground-breaking passenger counting facility" to the drivers' ticket machines, which advises them when their bus is at safe capacity and when to turn on the 'sorry bus full' display. ...
Coronavirus – Africa: Commonwealth health ministers agree to share advice and solutions in coronavirus battle

Coronavirus – Africa: Commonwealth health ministers agree to share advice and solutions in coronavirus battle

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, EUROPE, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, UK, UNITED KINGDOM
LONDON, United Kingdom --The Commonwealth Health Ministers have agreed to coordinate their response in tackling the coronavirus pandemic. Ministers endorsed removing fees for coronavirus tests and treatment, especially for migrants and refugees, as appropriate within national contexts, and creating a voluntary mechanism to share and distribute extra medical supplies including ventilators and testing kits. They agreed on the need for solidarity and cooperation among Commonwealth countries and that close working with the World Health Organization throughout the crisis was vital. This statement was released following the annual Commonwealth Health Ministers Meeting held on 14 May. Commonwealth Secretary-General Patricia Scotland said: “We are now participants at an inflection poi...
Coronavirus – Kenya: EU boosts Kenya National Commission on Human Rights’ (KNCHR) fight against human rights violations

Coronavirus – Kenya: EU boosts Kenya National Commission on Human Rights’ (KNCHR) fight against human rights violations

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, EAST AFRICA, EUROPE, EUROPEAN UNION, KENYA
On 20th May 2030, the EU delivered an urgent support packet of Ksh 52.2 million (EUR 450 000) to the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights to boost its efforts to counter human rights abuses during the COVID-19 pandemic. This partnership will allow the KNCHR to take up urgent public interest litigation cases that benefit the vulnerable and marginalised members of society in particular. It will also facilitate enhanced public education and awareness programmes through community radio stations and social media campaigns encouraging citizens to report violations. It will enhance technology infrastructure that will enable the KNCHR receive information and analyse it at the click of a button through systems specifically adapted for the COVID-19 pandemic. At the launch of the event, t...
Coronavirus – Namibia: German Embassy supports families in need

Coronavirus – Namibia: German Embassy supports families in need

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, Covid 19 Donations, EUROPE, Germany, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, NAMIBIA
WINDHOEK, Namibia, May 21, 2020/ -- The German Embassy supports families in need with food donations in the informal settlements of Windhoek. A total of approximately 170,000 NAD (8,736.00 EUR) from the micro project fund was made available as an immediate measure. These funds were used to purchase food parcels for 100 single mothers and 100 needy households registered with the Lidar Community Foundation in Katutura. The distributed items include staple foods such as maize meal, flour, pasta, rice, sugar, cooking oil, but also soap and detergent. In addition the single mothers with babies also received baby food and diapers for their children. To comply with the applicable national COVID-19 health & hygiene rules, 2 reusable face masks per household, manufactured by "Aphrodit...
Coronavirus – Tunisia: EU Council adopts €3 billion assistance package to support neighbouring partners

Coronavirus – Tunisia: EU Council adopts €3 billion assistance package to support neighbouring partners

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, Covid 19 Donations, EUROPE, EUROPEAN UNION, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, TUNISIA
EUROPEAN UNION --- On 20th May 2030, the Council adopted a decision to provide up to 3 billion euros of macro-financial assistance to ten enlargement and neighbourhood partners to help them cope with the economic fallout of the COVID-19 pandemic. Financial assistance will be provided in the form of loans on highly favourable terms and allocated as follows: Albania: €180 millionBosnia-Herzegovina: €250 millionGeorgia: €150 millionJordan: €200 millionKosovo*: €100 millionMoldova: €100 millionMontenegro: €60 millionRepublic of North Macedonia: €160 millionTunisia: €600 millionUkraine: €1200 million. EU assistance will help these jurisdictions cover their immediate financing needs which have increased as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak. Together with the support from the Intern...
Coca-Cola Beverages Africa Hands Over COVID-19 Contribution of UGX1.3bn

Coca-Cola Beverages Africa Hands Over COVID-19 Contribution of UGX1.3bn

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, Covid 19 Donations, COVID-19, EAST AFRICA, ENGLAND, EUROPE, FEATURE STORIES, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, UGANDA, UNITED KINGDOM, WORLD
COVID-19 Task Force Receives Three Pick-Ups for Ministry of Health Fleet - May 20, 2020, Kampala - Uganda Coca-Cola Beverages Africa in Uganda today handed over its contribution of UGX1.3billion (One Billion, Three Hundred Million Shillings) with three brand new pick-up trucks added to the Ministry of Health COVID-19 fleet. (R-L) Prime Minister and Chair of the National Task Force for COVID-19, Rt. Hon. Dr. Ruhakana Rugunda, Conrad van Niekerk, Coca-Cola Beverages Africa Regional Managing Director in charge of Uganda, Tanzania and Ghana,Melkamu Abebe,General ManagerUganda and Simon Kaheru (Public Affairs & Communications Director).Extreme right is Hon.Mary Karooro Okurut,the over seer of National Response Fund to Covid19 and Minister incharge of General Duties.Photo by Ronald...
Coronavirus – Mali: Belgium supports FAO in the rapid recovery of vulnerable households’ livelihoods in Mali during COVID-19

Coronavirus – Mali: Belgium supports FAO in the rapid recovery of vulnerable households’ livelihoods in Mali during COVID-19

AFRICA, Belgium, CORONAVIRUS, Covid 19 Donations, EUROPE, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, MALI
In Mali, the first cases of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) were reported on 25 March 2020 in a context of growing insecurity and when the Government had just declared a food security and nutrition emergency, for which it requested support from its international partners especially in view of last year’s poor crop production results. Extreme weather events during the 2017/18 and 2018/19 campaigns led, among other things, to significant fodder shortages in the Sahelian strip in the Kayes region. These deficits were also recorded in Mauritania and Senegal, which have increased the pressure on fodder resources in western Sahel and specifically in Mali. In addition, increased insecurity and conflict by armed groups in the northern and central regions of the country have severely affected ...
Coronavirus – Uganda: Denmark Supports Uganda’s COVID-19 Response with Two Million Dollars

Coronavirus – Uganda: Denmark Supports Uganda’s COVID-19 Response with Two Million Dollars

AFRICA, CORONAVIRUS, Covid 19 Donations, Denmark, EAST AFRICA, EUROPE, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, UGANDA
The Government of Denmark has signed a grant worth Two (2) Million Dollars to support the COVID-19 response in Uganda. The grant is to be channelled through the World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) and will go towards the procurement of lifesaving commodities such as masks and Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) for health workers. The grant will also support the improvement of Sexual and Reproductive Health (SRH) services in selected districts. At the signing ceremony, the Danish Ambassador to Uganda, His Excellency Nicolaj Petersen extended his government’s appreciation to the Government of Uganda for implementing strategic and effective measures to curb and manage the COVID-19 pandemic. “Uganda has managed to control the spread of the Coron...
Children of Rwandan genocide fugitive Kabuga led police to Paris-area hideout

Children of Rwandan genocide fugitive Kabuga led police to Paris-area hideout

AFRICA, CRIME, EAST AFRICA, EUROPE, France, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, RWANDA
French intelligence agents spied on the children of Rwanda’s most-wanted genocide fugitive to track him down to an apartment in a Paris suburb and end a 26-year-long manhunt, the head of the police unit who arrested Felicien Kabuga said. The inquiry gathered pace in March after an intelligence sharing meeting between investigators from France, Britain, and Belgium, home to some of Kabuga’s children, as well as Europe’s Europol law enforcement agency and a team from a U.N. tribunal. The coronavirus lockdown paralysing most of Europe meant many investigations were put on hold, allowing a focus on Kabuga’s file, said Eric Emeraux, head of the Gendarmerie’s Central Office for Combating Crimes Against Humanity. The dragnet subsequently closed in on one of the alleged chief financiers ...
Erling Haaland resumes scoring as Dortmund beats Schalke in Bundesliga return

Erling Haaland resumes scoring as Dortmund beats Schalke in Bundesliga return

EUROPE, Germany, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, Soccer, Sports
BERLIN — Erling Haaland scored the Bundesliga’s first goal in more than two months and then celebrated alone. The 19-year-old’s Borussia Dortmund teammates stayed away, mindful of the strict hygiene measures amid the coronavirus pandemic, as Germany’s soccer season resumed in unprecedented conditions on Saturday. Erling Haaland keeping social distance while celebrating his goal on Saturday Dortmund beat Schalke 4-0 in the first Ruhr derby to be played in an empty stadium. Calls and shouts from coaching staff and players, and the thud of the sanitized ball being kicked, reverberated around the mainly deserted stands. Players had been warned to keep their emotions in check, and to desist from spitting, handshakes and hugging with the games keenly watched by the rest of the socce...
Belarus: Set to receive its first US oil shipment, in move to wean off Russian supply

Belarus: Set to receive its first US oil shipment, in move to wean off Russian supply

Belarus, EUROPE, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, OIL, united states of america, USA
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced on Friday that the United States will send its first shipment of 80,000 tons of crude oil to Belarus, which has sought alternative oil suppliers after a monthslong pricing dispute with Russia. Pompeo said he believes this newest partnership “strengthens Belarusian sovereignty and independence.” Russia cut oil supplies to Belarus in January after Belarusian officials disputed 2020 oil prices, along with Russia's proposed increased integration of their economic ties. The 80,000-ton shipment is expected to arrive at the Lithuanian port of Klaipeda in June and from there will sent by rail to Belarus. Foreign Minister Vladimir Makei said cooperation with the U.S. on oil is "an element of energy security.” Tensions between Belaru...
Chinese ambassador to Israel found dead at home

Chinese ambassador to Israel found dead at home

China, EUROPE, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, ISRAEL
Tel Aviv ---- China's Ambassador to Israel, Du Wei, was found dead inside his official residence Sunday morning, a spokeswoman for Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs told CNN. At this stage, the 57-year-old's death is not being treated as suspicious. The official said Israeli police had launched an investigation but initial findings suggested no foul play. Mr Du, 57, was appointed ambassador in February having previously served as envoy to Ukraine. The ambassador was married and had a son but his family had still to join him in Israel. He was living in Herzliya, some 10km north of Tel Aviv. Police carrying out investigations outside the ambassador's residence in Herzliya Police are outside the ambassador's residence in Herzliya — to the north of Tel Aviv — as part of s...
Italy COVID Cases Jump After Italians Were Too Quick to Celebrate an End to Lockdown

Italy COVID Cases Jump After Italians Were Too Quick to Celebrate an End to Lockdown

CORONAVIRUS, EUROPE, HEALTH, INTERNATIONAL, INTERNATIONAL NEWS, Italy
VENICE—If the coronavirus pandemic has taught Italians anything, it’s that the cost of being too close can be too high. Italy, with a population of just over 60 million, has logged more than 221,000 cases and 30,000 deaths since the outbreak began February 25. Unlike the United States, which has clearly chosen economic viability over human life, Italy and many other European countries have had a different approach, focusing on science and restraint—at least until now. But three months into the pandemic, as the first glimpses of post-lockdown liberation coincide with warm spring nights, many in the hardest hit areas seem to have forgotten what just happened and hope to go back to the same kind of socializing as before. Monday, the COVID-devastated region of Lombardy saw a spike in...