The Ugandan cabinet on Monday, approved the Principles for the Establishment of the Uganda National Kiswahili Council. The main objectives of the Council are;
- To guide the planning process, implementation of interventions and allocation of recourses to the usage and development of Kiswahili as a Lingua franca;
- To ensure that the policy, legal and institutional framework are in place through setting standards for effective promotion, development and usage of Kiswahili at all levels;
- To provide a framework for assessing the responsiveness of plans, policies, and interventions through systematic implementation of Kiswahili;
- Provide harmonization, coordination and collaboration among MDAs and stakeholders in the promotion, use and development in Uganda through registration of all the stakeholders in Kiswahili;
- To enhance the capacity of duty-bearers to provide Kiswahili services and resources.