The URA Commissioner General, John Musinguzi Rujoki this week led a delegation of senior URA staff to deliver the URA staff contribution to the fight against COVID-1919.
A few weeks ago, a call was made by the CG to URA staff encouraging them to emulate the example set by The President of Uganda, His Excellency Yoweri Kaguta Museveni of donating half of his salary to the fight against COVID-19.
1120 staff took heed to the call, stood tall and were counted. Across the 7 URA departments, staff submitted their contributions.
Their collective donation of eighty five million six hundred fifty thousand shillings (shs.85, 650,000/=) has been wired to the National Response Fund to COVID-19.
The CG handed over a dummy cheque reflecting the sum to Hon. Mary Karooro Okurut, the Minister in charge of General Duties at the Prime Ministers office.
The CG commended the work done by the Task force in the fight against the pandemic. He informed the Task Force that the URA Staff contribution put together by 1120 staff has already been wired to the Task Force account noting that more money is slated to come through as more staff continue to make their contribution.
Hon Minister Mary Karooro Okurut appreciated the Tax Collectors revealing that she understands how challenging their work can be.
She told the team that the National COVID-19 relief taskforce has raised about Ugx 31 Billion exclusive of the funds received today noting however that the fund which was initiated by President Yoweri Museveni on 8th April, 2020 still has a long way to hit the target of Ugx 170 Billion.
She called upon more well-wishers, corporate bodies and organizations to donate generously in this fight against the COVID-19 pandemic.
These donations will be utilized by the Ministry of Health according to the National Response Fund to Covid 19 Chairman Engineer Emmanuel Katongole.
On Friday 24th April, Uganda’s President Museveni flagged off the first batch of 45 Motor Vehicles that had been donated to the Ministry of Health.
The donations in kind including foodstuffs and other medical equipment are always handed over to the National Taskforce for COVID-19.
President Museveni, announced the establishment of the NATIONAL RESPONSE FUND TO COVID-19 that was was formed on the 8th April,2020.
He also appointed a Committee to provide leadership to the COVID-19 Fund. The members of the Committee are: –
- Hon. Mary Karooro-Okurut, Minister of General Duties, OPM, Political oversight
- Mr. Emmanuel Katongole, CEO, Cipla Chemicals – Chairperson
- Mr. Robert Kabushenga, CEO, New Vision Group, Member
- Mr. Apollo Makubuya, Distinguished Lawyer, MMAKs Advocates, Member
- Mr. Francis Kamulegeya, CEO, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Member
- Mr. Kishor Jobanputra, CEO, Picfare Industries, Member
- Mr. Patrick Mweheire, Regional CEO, Standard Bank Group, Member
- Mr. Bwoch Gustavas, Chairman Centenary Bank, Member
- Bishop Joshua Lwere, Member Council of Presidents, IRCU, Member
- Mr. Aga Sekalala (Jr), CEO, Ugachick, Member
- Dr. Ian Clarke, CEO, International Hospital Kampala, Member
- Dr. Francis Omaswa, Former Director General of Health Services, Member
- Mr. Keith Muhakanizi, Permanent Secretary, Secretary to the Treasury, Member
- Dr. Diana Atwine, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Member
- Mrs. Dorothy Kisaka – Secretary/Covid-19 Fund Administrator
- The mandate of the Committee is to take responsibility for mobilizing resources for the fight against the pandemic, COVID -19 and enable provision of relief to vulnerable persons
The President recently donated 1.4M, as part of his monthly salary to the Covid-19 Fund. He pledged that this deduction will be donated every month till the pandemic of Covid-19 is eliminated. This took place on 30th April and the cash donation was brought in person by the First lady and Minister of Education, Janet Kataaha Museveni to the Covid-19 Fund Committee at the Office of the Prime Minister.
- Cabinet Ministers of the Government of Uganda
- Members of Parliament
- Members of the Judiciary
- Permanent Secretaries
- Directors, Commissioners and all Senior Civil servants
- All leaders in the local Government structures
- Mrs Dorothy Kisaka: She appealed to the wellwishers to pay their money to the banks and bring pay slips to the Fund.
- Bank Name:Stanbic Bank,Garden City
- Account Name:National Response Fund to Covid19
- Account Number:Shillings:9030017338551
- Info@Tel +256-776-000-108,+256793942474