ROME, Italy -- On Friday 4th, WFP’s Deputy Country Director, Ryan Anderson (in gray stripes shirt) visited the Uganda-Kenya border post of Malaba where he was taken around the Uganda COVID-19 response facility. Through Mr. Anderson, WFP contributed the following items to the Malaba response:
1. 10 hospital beds
2. 10 computers
3. 10 biometric scanners
4. 10 digital cameras
5. 10 computer tables
6. 10 office swivel chairs
7. 100 plastic chairs
Attached and pasted further down are Mr. Anderson’s brief remarks at the occasion, if you might want to make a story.
Greeting on behalf of the United Nations World Food Programme.
I would like to begin by commending the Government of Uganda and local district governments in Tororo, Bu...
KAMPALA, Uganda -- When the World Health Organization (WHO), declared the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) outbreak a global pandemic, on 11th March 2020, many Ugandans didn’t take it seriously with many saying it was a disease for the affluent, the very high class or for developed countries.
As the disease ravaged the entire world, Ugandans were awakened when the first COVID-19 case in Uganda was confirmed on 24th March 2020. The country was locked down, fear and anxiety set in. Many people practised the prevention and control guidelines announced by the Ministry of Health and abided by the Presidential directives.
As the number of cases increased, many deaths were expected across the country. It didn’t happen and patients most without any known COVID-19 symptoms were discharge...
Kampala, Uganda --- The death toll from the COVID-19 pandemic in Uganda rose to three, the Ministry of Health said in a statement on Friday.
“The Ministry of Health would like to inform the public that Uganda has registered one COVID-19 death today. This brings the total COVID-19 deaths to three,” the statement said.
According to the ministry, the deceased was a 67-year-old man of Nigerian origin who sought treatment at a private clinic after showing symptoms consistent with COVID-19, such as chest pain, cough and fever.
“He later went to Kiruddu Referral Hospital where he was admitted and samples were taken off. Unfortunately he passed on on July 29th 2020,” the statement added.
“The samples analyzed at Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI) confirmed SARS COV-2. SO far 15 co...
KAMPALA, Uganda, June 11, 2020/ -- The Ministry of Health confirms eight (8) new COVID-19 cases from 2,423 samples tested on 09th June, 2020. Four (4) new cases were among of 1,388 samples tested from Points of Entry while four (4) new cases were among 1,035 samples of alerts and contacts. All confirmed cases are Ugandans. The total confirmed COVID-19 cases in Uganda is now 665.
Additionally, thirty-one (31) foreign truck drivers (16 Kenyans, 8 Tanzanians, 5 Eritreans, 1 Burundian and 1 South Sudanese) tested positive for COVID-19 and were handed over to their respective country of origin.
Confirmed Cases:1. Three (03) of the confirmed cases are truck drivers who arrived from South Sudan via Elegu Point of Entry while one (01) case is a truck driver who arrived from Tanzania via Mut...
Busia Municipality MP, Mr Godfrey Macho has been arrested on allegations of defying directives on the prevention of coronavirus pandemic and inciting violence.
Mr Godfrey Macho was allegedly found on Saturday mobilising a section of traders to go and open their shops and stalls in Busia market contrary to the directives issued by the district taskforce on coronavirus and president Museveni.
The Bukedi Regional Police Commander (RPC) Mr Julius Caesar Tusingwire said the lawmaker is currently detained at Tororo Central Police station.
“We arrested him for organising a section of traders to forcefully open shops and stalls in the market, something which jeopardises the fight against coronavirus in the district,” he said.
The market was closed in March this year by the Busia Distr...
Three Chinese nationals have been isolated in Seeta-Mukono for
monitoring, shortly after returning from China as precautionary
measures, following the ministry directive on Coronavirus.The affected Chinese, all employees of China Star Company returned to the country recently.They
are part of 220 travellers who have been isolated in different parts of
the country. The move is a preventive measure against the spread of the
virus that has ravaged China and been confirmed in other countries.
The isolation takes two weeks after which if there are no symptoms, the isolated person is allowed to interact freely.However, their confinement left several of their co-workers in panic.Mr
Emmanuel Ainebyoona, the Ministry of Health spokesperson said that they
are closely monitoring all travell...