The conflict between Asia’s two neighbors, Armenia and Azerbaijan, continues, with some experts expecting even more violent clashes in the coming hours and days.
According to the information, received information from a local source in Yerevan that the Russian military had begun transferring its fighters to Yerevan to help Armenia. The source claims that he has so far filmed at least three Russian MiG-29s. It should be noted that, as far as is known, Azerbaijan, Georgia and Turkey are closing their airspace to Russia, which leads to the following logical conclusion – Moscow is using Iran’s airspace to transfer the fighters to Yerevan.
Ateo Breaking shared the video in its Telegram channel, claiming that the fighters flew over Yerevan, but without distinctive signs, so the nationality of the fighters cannot be stated with certainty. Experience in recent years in a hybrid conventional war has shown that Moscow is fully capable and well-rounded in such situations, which does not rule out the possibility of Russian fighters being transferred to Armenia.
Let’s not forget that Russia strongly supports and stands behind Yerevan, and the possibility of allowing it to be involved in a conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh for the second time is unacceptable for Putin, so he and his administration will try to suppress everything that started at the very beginning.
Back to the fighters, the possibility that they have reached Armenia is increased by the fact that neither Georgia, nor Azerbaijan, nor Turkey have reported their airspace being violated.
Until now, BulgarianMilitary.com cannot confirm the authenticity of the video, as in reality, without an official statement from one of the two countries (Armenia or Russia – ed.) It may have been shot anywhere in the region. But serious attention must be paid to the following basic and important strategic fact – Moscow has an air base, which leads us to the next logical conclusion – the transfer of fighters from Moscow to Yerevan is not an unusual practice and in the context of the conflict is more than expected.
Especially at a time when Tehran has not closed its airspace to Russian aircraft. A fact that may be more than key to future development or conflict resolution.
As we reported earlier today, the Deputy Commander of the Armenian Army Artsakh Artur Sargsyan said that the Azerbaijani military has suffered heavy losses in the last two days, which include at least 400 Azerbaijani soldiers killed.
According to Sargsyan, Armenian forces have so far destroyed 47 armored vehicles, mainly tanks and 36 military attack and surveillance drones.
“In the last two days of fighting, Azerbaijani troops have lost more than 400 people. As of 5:00 pm on September 28, the following enemy losses were registered: 36 UAVs, 47 armored vehicles, more than 400 casualties,” Sargsyan told a news conference.
Tensions between Armenia and Azerbaijan escalated again on September 27 after the Ministry of Defense of Azerbaijan issued a special press release stating that the forces of the Azerbaijani army are launching a counter-offensive operation on the entire Nagorno-Karabakh front.
“The troops of the Azerbaijani army have launched a counter-offensive operation on the entire front,” the republic’s defense ministry said.
The official opinion of the Ministry of Defense is that military actions of the Armenian military units are being observed and that is why the Azeris have taken actions to repel and suppress them.
Azerbaijan and Armenia have been in conflict over Nagorno-Karabakh since February 1988, when the Nagorno-Karabakh Autonomous Region announced its withdrawal from the Azerbaijan SSR.
During the armed conflict in 1992-1994, the Azerbaijani side lost control of Nagorno-Karabakh and the seven areas adjacent to it. Since 1992, negotiations have been conducted within the framework of the OSCE Minsk Group on a peaceful settlement of the conflict. The group is led by co-chairs – Russia, USA and France.
In 1994, Azerbaijan, Armenia and the unrecognized Nagorno-Karabakh Republic, through the mediation of Russia, signed the Bishkek Armistice Protocol. At the same time, military operations did not stop there, which periodically renewed.
The most significant exacerbation of the conflict was the four-day war of 2016. Then hundreds of soldiers on both sides became victims.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, during a meeting with the President of Azerbaijan last year, called for a rhetoric that would go against the fundamental principles endorsed by both sides and enshrined in the UN Charter and the Helsinki Final Act when resolving the situation around Nagorno-Karabakh.
At the same time, the head of the Russian Foreign Ministry admitted that much more needs to be done to achieve a long-term political settlement.