MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry are fuelling an “ongoing saga” by speaking about their decision to step down as full-time working royals, according to a royal commentator.
Meghan and Prince Harry’s interview with Oprah Winfrey is set to open a Pandora’s box which is going to be “really difficult to close”, according to royal commentator Camilla Tominey. The expert believes the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s decision to keep speaking about Megxit paves the way to endless scrutiny from the media and the public and further reactions from Buckingham Palace.
In a video comment for the Daily Telegraph, Ms Tominey said: “They could have gone quietly after Megxit.
“They had said they wanted to live a quieter life in LA and I think many people would have let them do that.
“I think the feelings behind the palace’s gates is, ‘Why are you continuing to bang on an issue that was partially resolved last March, when you left the Royal Family, and properly tided up last month, when the Queen said that you were ending all of your royal associations?
“Why are you still talking about this?”
“There are aides saying, ‘We got over it, why haven’t they?”
“And I think what’s interesting about the Oprah interview is that it does open this Pandora’s box, which is going to be really difficult to close.”
The royal expert added sources have already come forward with bullying allegations ahead of the interview – strongly denied by Meghan’s representatives.
She claimed: “We’ve already seen that people are now coming forward with bullying allegations because they don’t like the narrative that the Sussexes are presenting.
“They think is one-sided and inaccurate.
“If they then go and poke the hornets’ nest even further with Oprah what then is going to come forward, who might come out and say, ‘Well, I disagree with the way they have described that’
“So I think that by continuing the conversation around Megxit, the couple are inviting even more scrutiny and the palace is going to have to react to that, so this is an ongoing saga that doesn’t seem to have any sign of ending any time soon.”
Meghan and Harry’s interview with Oprah is set to air tomorrow night in the US and on Monday evening in Britain on ITV.
During this two-hour-long sit-down interview, the Sussexes will touch upon several topics – including their hopes for the future, motherhood and their family.
And the clips released by CBS over this week have also revealed Megxit and the relationship between the Sussexes and the Royal Family will be scrutinised by Oprah.
n one teaser, Prince Harry appears to be hinting at Megxit and his mother Princess Diana, who also quit the Royal Family after her divorce to Prince Charles.
He said: “I’m just really relieved and happy to be sitting here talking to you with my wife by my side.
“Because I can’t begin to imagine what it must have been like for her, going through this process by herself all those years ago.
“It’s been unbelievably tough for the two of us, but at least we have each other.”
In another clip, Meghan is also asked by Oprah whether she was “silent or silenced” and in a third, the Duchess accuses the palace of possibly playing “an active role that The Firm is playing in perpetuating falsehoods about us.”.
While this interview is the first the couple have carried out together since March 2020 last year, Prince Harry already spoke about his decision to leave and his hopes for the future in late February, when he appeared on The Late Late Show With James Corden.
The Duke of Sussex explained he never wanted to walk away from the Royal Family and said “it was stepping back rather than stepping down”.
Speaking to TV host and friend of the Sussexes Mr Corden, Harry said: “As far as I am concerned, whatever decisions are made on that side, I will never walk away, I will always be contributing.
My life is public service so wherever I am in the world it’s going to be the same thing.”
Meghan’s lawyers have strongly denied claims of bullying taking place while the Duchess was a senior royal.
The spokesman for the Sussexes said in a statement: “Let’s just call this what it is — a calculated smear campaign based on misleading and harmful misinformation.
“We are disappointed to see this defamatory portrayal of The Duchess of Sussex given credibility by a media outlet.
“It’s no coincidence that distorted several-year-old accusations aimed at undermining The Duchess are being briefed to the British media shortly before she and The Duke are due to speak openly and honestly about their experience of recent years.”
The statement added the Duchess of Sussex is “saddened” by this “latest attack on her character”.
It read: “The Duchess is saddened by this latest attack on her character, particularly as someone who has been the target of bullying herself and is deeply committed to supporting those who have experienced pain and trauma.
“She is determined to continue her work building compassion around the world and will keep striving to set an example for doing what is right and doing what is good.”