Following the Covid19 pandemic that has caused fatal setbacks in the implementation of government programs globally and nationally, and in line with the President’s initiative to fight and control the enemy, Mary Karooro Okurut, Uganda’s Prime Minister Rt Hon,Dr Ruhakana Rugunda,the Political head overseeing the National Response Fund to Covid19 and Minister of General Duties, Hon Karooro Okurut have received a donation of a brand new vehicle with an assortment of goods to the national response fund to Covid19 and the donation was warmly received by the prime minister Dr.Ruhakana Rugunda worth over 250M/=.
Speaking at the handover ceremony held at the office of prime minister parking yard, Mr.K.P. Eswar the group director corporate affairs said his board took a decision to support the Covid19 cause in response to the presidential appeal.
“We are humbled as Madhvani group to make our donation towards the Covid19 pandemic by handing this brand new vehicle and an assortment of goods worth over 250M/= to you right honorable prime minister and kindly accept it” observed Eswar.
In appreciation, Dr.Rugunda thanked the group for this huge donation of a brand new vehicle and an assortment of essential goods to meet the basic needs of corona virus patients and front line health workers.
The executive director of the group Mwine Kabeho said they would continue to partner with the government in her efforts to combat the deadly virus which continues to harm millions of people across the globe.
Kabeho said his group has a string of companies manufacturing a series of goods and services to the community of East Africa and beyond.
Some of the companies include, both Kakira and recently established Amuru sugar, East African distributors Ltd. Steel corporation of East Africa Ltd, Lliberty general Insurance Uganda, Liberty life assurance Uganda, Marasa holdings, Mweya safari lodges in Kasese, Paras safari lodges, Chobe safari lodge silver back lodge.
Others are Kakira sweets and confectioneries, Mwera /Nakigalala yes Estates, Jinja sailing club, Excel construction company, Industrial security services, and both Muljibhai Madhvani and Kakira Sugar Busoga foundation respectively all geared towards serving humanity with a kind heart.
He noted that they operate Kabuye sugar works Ltd and Marasa holdings Ltd. In Rwanda while Marasa Ltd and The Ark Ltd with Taiho properties are in Kenya.
“Please receive our humble contribution” he said.These donations will be utilized by the Ministry of Health according to the National Response Fund to Covid 19 Chairman Engineer Emmanuel Katongole.
On Friday 24th April, Uganda’s President Museveni flagged off the first batch of 45 Motor Vehicles that had been donated to the Ministry of Health.
The donations in kind including foodstuffs and other medical equipment are always handed over to the National Taskforce for COVID-19.
President Museveni, announced the establishment of the NATIONAL RESPONSE FUND TO COVID-19 that was was formed on the 8th April,2020.
He also appointed a Committee to provide leadership to the COVID-19 Fund. The members of the Committee are: –
- Hon. Mary Karooro-Okurut, Minister of General Duties, OPM, Political oversight
- Mr. Emmanuel Katongole, CEO, Cipla Chemicals – Chairperson
- Mr. Robert Kabushenga, CEO, New Vision Group, Member
- Mr. Apollo Makubuya, Distinguished Lawyer, MMAKs Advocates, Member
- Mr. Francis Kamulegeya, CEO, PricewaterhouseCoopers, Member
- Mr. Kishor Jobanputra, CEO, Picfare Industries, Member
- Mr. Patrick Mweheire, Regional CEO, Standard Bank Group, Member
- Mr. Bwoch Gustavas, Chairman Centenary Bank, Member
- Bishop Joshua Lwere, Member Council of Presidents, IRCU, Member
- Mr. Aga Sekalala (Jr), CEO, Ugachick, Member
- Dr. Ian Clarke, CEO, International Hospital Kampala, Member
- Dr. Francis Omaswa, Former Director General of Health Services, Member
- Mr. Keith Muhakanizi, Permanent Secretary, Secretary to the Treasury, Member
- Dr. Diana Atwine, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Health, Member
- Mrs. Dorothy Kisaka – Secretary/Covid-19 Fund Administrator
- The mandate of the Committee is to take responsibility for mobilizing resources for the fight against the pandemic, COVID -19 and enable provision of relief to vulnerable persons
The President recently donated 1.4M, as part of his monthly salary to the Covid-19 Fund. He pledged that this deduction will be donated every month till the pandemic of Covid-19 is eliminated. This took place on 30th April and the cash donation was brought in person by the First lady and Minister of Education, Janet Kataaha Museveni to the Covid-19 Fund Committee at the Office of the Prime Minister.
- Cabinet Ministers of the Government of Uganda
- Members of Parliament
- Members of the Judiciary
- Permanent Secretaries
- Directors, Commissioners and all Senior Civil servants
- All leaders in the local Government structures
- Mrs Dorothy Kisaka: She appealed to the wellwishers to pay their money to the banks and bring pay slips to the Fund.
- Bank Name:Stanbic Bank,Garden City
- Account Name:National Response Fund to Covid19
- Account Number:Shillings:9030017338551
- Info@Tel +256-776-000-108,+256793942474