Kevin Hart steps down as Oscars host after three days of controversy

Spread the love

NEW YORK, United States of America

 

American Comedian and Actor Kevin Hart has announced Friday that he will be stepping down as the host of next year’s Oscars ceremony following an criticism over his homophobic comments.

The comedian posted an apology letter to the LGBTQ community on his Twitter handle for his past insensitive words. He later confirmed that he will not take part in the show.

He wrote: “I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscars,” wrote Hart, who as well as his stand-up work is the star of films like Ride Along and Jumanji.

 “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.” He noted

“I’m sorry that I hurt people. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart. Much love, and appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”

Hurt whose currently in Australia had earlier posted on his Instagram account that he had received a call from the Oscars Academy asking him to apologise or face being removed as the host of the awards.

The comedian in a video said he would not apologise.

“I chose to pass, I passed on the apology. The reason I chose to pass is because I’ve addressed this several times, this is not the first time this has come up, and I’ve addressed this. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different space in my life,” he said.

“Regardless, Academy, I’m thankful and appreciative of the opportunity. If it goes away no harm no foul.”