Thursday, July 29We Break the News

Kampala marks World Cities Day With “Weyonje” literally meaning “Keep your environment Clean” Kisaka’s first 100 days in Office)

Spread the love

By E. K Benj – Kampala Uganda

The United Nations General Assembly designated the 31st of October as World Cities Day, by its resolution 68/239. The Day has been marked by world major cities with main celebrations in Nakuru, Kenya. Expectations are to greatly promote the international community’s interest in global urbanization, push forward cooperation among countries in meeting opportunities and addressing challenges of urbanization, and contributing to sustainable urban development around the world.

Kampala Capital City Authority- KCCA Executive Director Dorothy Kisaka has been joined by local leaders in Lubaga South to clean several villages. Addressing local leaders at the Local Concil office in Kabawo zone, Kisaka has noted that keeping our city clean is an an aspect we can achieve if we work together. One way of valuing our Communities is by keeping our Communities clean. “This requires a deliberate effort from all of us, to clean our neighbourhood, drainages, our roads and homes.” Added Kisaka.

 

This is the second time KCCA is observing the Weyonje Campaign following its launch on the 19th September 2020.

Over the past 90 days as the Executive Director of KCCA, Kisaka has visited all the 5 Urban Divisions and met with all the Political leaders and Technical Teams. In all these engagements, Garbage collection and disposal has been highlighted as one of the major challenges facing the City.
She also visited Kiteezi land fill and the 135 acres of land procured in Ddundu, Mukono were a modern Solid waste management and treatment plant is going to be constructed.
Whereas there are plans to address the garbage situation in the medium and long time there are issues which need to be addressed now; Kisaka strongly pointed.

She says Kampala produces a total of 2,000 tons of garbage a day and only 60% is collected and disposed of at Kiteezi. This leaves 40% of the garbage to be dumped in drainages which leads to flooding and diseases. On the other hand, KCCA has only 15 trucks which are totally inadequate to collect all the garbage in the City. “We need 90 trucks if we are to effectively collect all the garbage from the 99 Parishes in Kampala.
I wish to pledge that we are going to intentionally address this issue and ensure that this situation is improved upon.” Kisaka emphasised.

In the meantime, under the Weyonje Clean-up campaign KCCA wants to promote a culture of cleanliness by encouraging Communities clean up their residence and work places.
Encourage proper disposal of garbage, thereby reducing pollution, and improving environmental quality.
Reducing flooding that is caused by clogged drainage systems. Reducing public health risks including diseases and epidemics as well as encourage sorting of garbage which will result into increases in household incomes and ease the garbage recycling process.

On the 29th of September 2020, KCCA launched the Kampala Capital City Strategic Plan and Kisaka puts two specific themes under her concern over the next five years.
These she says include; KCCA Governance and Citizens Engagement.

“We shall pursue a participatory approach with all stakeholders to nurture the stunning beauty of Kampala City. The staff cannot do it alone. Everyone ought to participate in beautifying his or her neighborhood. It is imperative that we work together to create a City environment that everyone will be proud of. We are going to intentionally promote Citizens engagements so that everyone can be heard and no one is left behind” Kisaka said.

Kisaka also has keen interest in the quality of Life of the people of Kampala. She says KCCA intends to take deliberate efforts to address the health and environmental needs within the City and this includes improving the collection, transportation, recycling and disposal of all our waste.

Kisaka appreciated KCCA staff, Former Buganda Government Minister and the mayor of Lubaga Owek Joyce Nabbosa Ssebugwawo, Uganda Red Cross, AMREF and other civil societies we go have joined today’s activities.

“I wish to reiterate that Covid-19 is real and I encourage everyone to adhere to the recommended Covid-19 SOPs as guided by Ministry of Health which include: maintaining social distance, regular washing of hands/sanitizing and wearing a face mask when in public places.
I argue all residents of Kampala City to take responsibility of the waste we generate and start on a process of sorting waste starting at our homes and work places” Kisaka said.

She also called upon all City residents, visitors business to always remember to participate in the Kampala Weyonje Clean-up Campaign that is marked every last Saturday of the month. “For an hour or two to please stop whatever they are doing, and clean their surroundings.” Kisaka appealed.

 

Hits: 597

error: Content is protected !!