FULL-TIME Everton 5-2 West Brom
Unless you’re a West Brom fan, that was pretty fun! The Baggies’s bright start – and Grady Diangana’s opener – evaporated in the face of a Dominic Calvert-Lewin hat-trick and a James Rodriguez masterclass after seeing both Kieran Gibbs and manager Slaven Bilic sent off.
TWO ASSISTS – But Richarlison is desperate to score
Everton 5-2 West Brom (89 mins)
Michael Keane might have had a second from another corner had his first touch been better. Seconds later, Richarlison goes close again, trying to put the finishing touches to a sumptuous switch of play from Coleman to Digne, whose first-time volleyed cross is glanced wide.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (88 mins)
Goes without saying that Everton have bossed this second half, but for the stattos out there, they’ve had 77 per cent of the possession since the break. Can’t imagine much of that involves Pickford since Pereira’s stunner early in the second half.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (85 mins)
Everton have the freedom of the field to pick their next point of attack. Allan looks up on half-way and lofts the ball to Gylfi Sigurdsson, whose back-heel tees up Kean for a rasping effort that flies high and wide.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (82 mins)
There will be better days than this for West Brom, but it will take a while to bounce back from here – not least having to do so without Gibbs and potentially manager Bilic for at least the next game. Iwobi and Kean are full of energy on the flanks, just what a weary Baggies defence doesn’t need.
SUB Everton 5-2 West Brom (78 mins)
James Rodriguez’s day is done – he’s off to be replaced by Moise Kean. Another sterling performance from the Everton new man.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (77 mins)
Everton have the ball in the net again…but the flag goes up! Another belting ball from rodriguez, who fizzes it in low for Richarlison to bury in the top corner. good decision, mind.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (75 mins)
Allan and Rodriguez look to fashion an opening for Iwobi on the edge of the West Brom box but his touch lets him down and West Brom survive. One last chance for the Baggies – on comes Sam Field, replacing Romaine Sawyers.
SUB Everton 5-2 West Brom (x mins)
Subs for both sides: Mathus Pereira and Grady Diangana make way for Kyle Edwards and Matt Phillips, while hat-trick hero Dominic Calvert-Lewin is taken off for Alex Iwobi.
Everton 5-2 West Brom (70 mins)
Dominic Calvert-Lewin is the first Everton player to score a Premier League hat-trick since Wayne Rooney’s memorable treble against West Ham in November 2017. Meanwhile, West Brom are set to make some changes…
HAT-TRICK HERO – Calvert-Lewin makes his mark
GOAL! Everton 5-2 West Brom (CALVERT-LEWIN, 66 mins)
Hat-trick for Dominic Calvert-Lewin! Sam Johnstone got a finger to that Digne effort and from the corner the forward bundles home from close range.
- 15:57GOAL! Everton 5-2 West Brom (CALVERT-LEWIN, 66 mins)
- 15:56Everton 4-2 West Brom (66 mins)Rodriguez is dictating play just now. Jake Livermore is beaten on the edge of his box and brings the Colombian down on the edge of the D – so tempting for either an left- or right-footer. Up steps Digne… hits the bar!
GOAL! Everton 4-2 West Brom (CALVERT-LEWIN, 62 mins)
Scratch that last pass – THERE’S the pass of the day, and it’s Rodriguez again. The Colombian lofts one over the West Brom defence for Richarlison to meet on the volley, and Dominic Calvert Lewin lunges to poke home.
Everton 3-2 West Brom (60 mins)
Now it’s Everton looking to take the sting out of this one, stroking the ball around on halfway as West Brom are forced to sit in. James plays an incredible ball, threading four West Brom players to reach Digne on the overlap – it even surprised the Frenchman, who loses control with Johnstone rushing out.
Premier League pundit Rob Green:
It’s been a polar opposite performance from Everton compared to the control they showed against Spurs last week. You don’t want to have to rely on scoring three goals every week!”
- GOAL! Everton 3-2 West Brom (KEANE, 54 mins)
- 15:44Everton 2-2 West Brom (52 mins)Suddenly its West Brom pinning Eveton back in their own half, and it’s that man Grady Diangana who is pulling the strings. Andre gomes is under pressure on the edge of his own box but Mike Dean gives a free kick to relieve the pressure, and Everton break.
Premier League pundit Rob Green:
“Everton will have done this so many times in training – breaking down two blocks of four. Can they do it now, in a pressure situation?”
- GOAL! Everton 2-2 West Brom (PEREIRA, 47 mins)
- 15:38Everton 2-1 West Brom (47 mins)Early shout for a penalty from the West Brom bench – and Slaven Bilic in the stands – as Diangana dives at a cross but is checked out of the way by Kean and Mina.
Everton 2-1 West Brom (46 mins)
Back under way at Goodison, and no changes as yet despite that late red card for Gibbs.
FPL bonus points as it stands
3 – Rodriguez
2 – Diangana
1 – Calvert-Lewin
- Premier League pundit Leon Osman:”From 43 minutes of West Brom really denying the opportunities, Everton managed to get a few passes together. These are the positions we want to see James Rodriguez in, just in front of the back four. It’s such a true strike, he came through with a quality finish.”
- 15:27Pick the 🦴🦴🦴 out of that one!It was all going so well for West Brom, but they’ve hit the self-destruct button in the last few minutes of that first half. Down to 10 men and seemingly without their manager in the second half, they have it all to do to deny Everton the three points.
- 15:25SEEING RED – Gibbs dismissed by Mike Dean
- 15:23And there’s more…It looks like Slaven Bilic was shown a red card after the whistle left after confronting Mike Dean in the centre of the pitch. The West Brom manager and former Everton man stormed from the pitch moments later.
HALF-TIME Everton 2-1 West Brom
Dream start, nightmare end to the the half for West Brom, who went ahead through Grady Diangana’s mazy dribble and strike. Dominic Calvert-Lewin equalised before James Rodriguez put the Toffees ahead moments before Kieran Gibbs was sent off
RED CARD – Kieran Gibbs (West Brom, 45+2)
Unreal. The ball is long gone when Kieran Gibbs loses his cool in a flare-up with James Rodriguez, poking the Colombian in the face. No doubt in Mike Dean’s mind – the full back has to go
- GOAL! Everton 2-1 West Brom (RODRIGUEZ, 45 mins)
- 15:16Everton 1-1 West Brom (44 mins)And another corner – Everton’s eighth. But Digne’s delivery can’t beat the man at the near post. He gets another chance moments later as West Brom again are forced to scramble the ball behind. This time it’s too the far post, but Yerry Mina can’t redirect it into the danger zone.
Everton 1-1 West Brom (41 mins)
Calvert-Lewin drops into midfield to help Everton win the ball back, and they spread it to Lucas Digne to try a hopeful cross-field ball. There’s no pressure on Dara O’Shea but he doesn’t hear the shout and heads behind, but nothing comes from yet another corner for Everton.
Everton 1-1 West Brom (38 mins)
Since the start of last season, Dominic Calvert-Lewin is Everton’s highest goalscorer in the Premier League with 15 strikes – including 10 under Carlo Ancelotti, his best return for a manager in his career.
Everton 1-1 West Brom (35 mins)
Moments after the restart, West Brom pick their way through the Everton back line. Matheus Pereira ghosts in and tries to beat Pickford from a tight angle, but the keeper makes himself big to make the block.
GOAL! Everton 1-1 West Brom (CALVERT-LEWIN, 32 mins)
It’s given! Dominic Calvert Lewin gets his second of the season to draw Everton level.
Everton 0-1 West Brom (31 mins)
Everton have the ball in the net! Good work down the right as Coleman whips it in, Richarlison nods it down and Dominic Calvert-Lewin backheels in from point-blank range! But the assistant referee’s flag is up… We’re waiting on VAR
HEAD IN HANDS – Ancelotti can’t believe it
Everton 0-1 West Brom (30 mins)
A sixth corner comes in from Lucas Digne, this one outswinging from the left, and Michael Keane rises highest but can only nod the ball over the bar. Decent spell of pressure, that – but nothing to show for it from the Toffees.
Everton 0-1 West Brom (28 mins)
Everton are building a head of steam here. Lucas Digne hares forward and hooks a cross that falls to Rodriguez on the edge of the box. A neat shimmy and pass to Coleman wins a corner, and another – both headed clear, but the Baggies aren’t out of danger yet
Everton 0-1 West Brom (26 mins)
Everton have slowed the game down to try and regain control in midfield, working the ball down the left to release Richarlison – but the Brazilian slashes his effort wide of the near post, looking to the heavens in frustration.
Everton 0-1 West Brom (22 mins)
Another corner for Everton on the right, perfect for James Rodriguez to curl an inswinger. Callum Robinson heads clear and West Brom work the ball up the pitch, Darnell Furlong crossing from the right and finding Jake Livermore, who takes a touch and fires at goal, but hits the post!
Everton 0-1 West Brom (16 mins)
Diangana is proving a handful for more than just the Everton back four. Abdoulaye Doucoure sees the winger spin past as an Everton corner breaks down and pulls him back. Easy decision for Mike Dean – yellow.
Everton 0-1 West Brom (12 mins)
Everton look for an instant response, and it’s another dangerous free kick causing panic in the Baggies’ back line. A bit of pinball before it falls invitingly to Richarlison, but his an awkward height as he’s under pressure, and the chance flashes wide.
- Everton 0-0 West Brom (7 mins)Diangana versus Seamus Coleman should be a tasty one. It’s advantage to the Irishman after their first one-on-one, recovering after showing the West Brom winger space to run to earn a goal kick, but the Baggies man comes out on top moments later, cutting back to Jake Livermore, who blazes over.
- 14:37Everton 0-0 West Brom (5 mins)James Rodriguez’s curling delivery found Dominic Calvert-Lewin at the far post, but the striker’s header is directed past the upright. He knows how good a chance that was early on!
- 14:35Everton 0-0 West Brom (3 mins)An early scare for Everton as Jordan Pickford and Yerry Mina almost pay the price for overplaying early on. Callum Robinson tees up Grady Diangana to test the keeper early, but the effort is parried clear. But here’s a corner at the other end…