The Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) has on Monday, February 3 started the hearing process of different schools, whose results were withheld.
Examination results of different schools at different levels were withheld over suspected examination malpractice and the candidates whose results were withheld shall appear before the UNEB Security Committee for interrogation.
UNEB chairperson Prof. Mary Okwakol said that candidates and schools whose PLE results were withheld will be summoned on designed dates starting Monday, February 3 to explain themselves before they commit.
Results of 1,512 candidates were withheld during the release of Primary Leaving Examinations (PLE) last month while a total of 1,262 students across the country had their results withheld during the release of the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) late last month.
The board is preparing to give a hearing to the affected candidates
and schools and those that will be exonerated their results shall be
released, while those who will be proved to have copied will be punished
in accordance with section 4(3) of the UNEB Act 137.
Mr. Dan Odongo, the UNEB executive secretary said the examinations security committee would give a hearing first to PLE starting on February 3 followed by UCE.
“We sent summoned school heads together with the affected students to come and defend themselves. Those who will prove themselves innocent will be given their results and those who would be found guilty would have a case against UNEB,” he said.
He said the committee anticipates spending about four to five days handling PLE cases before embarking on UCE.
Asked whether there are students that have petitioned the examination’s body over their withheld results, Odongo said they have not received any petition from any student because they directly deal with only teachers.
“Few heads of schools have come to our offices to find out what cases UNEB has against them, we explain to them why their results were withheld and ask them to wait for hearing dates.
Education Minister Janet Museveni said recently said the ministry would interdict headteachers and teachers whose schools have continuously been involved in malpractice.