MADRID : Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz, who was hospitalized with Covid-19, died on Saturday (March 21) at the age of 76, says his son.
“My father has just died,” he wrote. “He did not deserve it to end in this manner. One of the best, most courageous and hard working people I have seen in my life. His family and Real Madrid were his passion.” He had been admitted to hospital this week with coronavirus-like symptoms, the pandemic having sent Spain and other nations into lock down.
Current club captain and Spanish international Sergio Ramos, who along with his teammates is in quarantine after one of the club’s basketball players tested positive for the virus, hailed Sanz. He tweeted: “Very sad day for Real Madrid. Lorenzo Sanz connected yesterday and today with two numbers for the story: 7 and 8 [Champions League triumphs in 1998 and 2000}.
Sanz was in charge of the Spanish giants from 1995-2000, overseeing two Champions League titles.
He claimed a place on the Real Madrid board in the mid-1980s, when the president was Ramon Mendoza. He replaced Mendoza as president in 1995.
In a statement issued on its
official website, Madrid said: “Real Madrid, its president and the board
of directors regret with great consternation the death of Lorenzo Sanz, who was
president of Real Madrid from 1995 to 2000.
“They also want to express their deepest condolences and all their affection and affection to his wife Mari Luz, their children, Lorenzo, Francisco, Fernando, María Luz [Malula] and Diana, and their family and friends. Condolences that also extend to all Real Madrid.
“Today, Real Madrid is mourning the loss of a president who dedicated a large part of his life to his great passion: Real Madrid.
They noted out that given the current circumstances, Real Madrid will pay him the recognition he deserves as soon as possible.