KAMPALA — Uganda’s cases of COVID-19 have moved to 63 after two more people tested positive for the novel coronavirus, Dr. Henry Mwebesa, the Director General Services has said on Wednesday April 22 night.
On Wednesday, a total of 1,296 samples were tested including 550 samples from the community and quarantine centres as well as 746 samples from truck drivers at different border points.
Previously, the ministry of Health wouldn’t add such imported cases on Uganda’s tally but following the advice of the World Health Organisation (WHO), they are now added unto the national tally. WHO demanded that imported all cases be counted and treated in countries where they tested positive.
One is a 43 year-old Tanzanian truck driver who is a contact to a previously confirmed case.
The other is a 35 year-old Tanzanian truck driver who arrived from Tanzania at Mutukula border.
To date, eight truck drivers (one Ugandan, three Tanzanian and four Kenyans have tested positive for CIVID-19 in Uganda.
Out of these, 2 truck drivers (one Tanzanian and one Kenyan) had already been repatriated for their respective countries for treatment, the Ministry said.
Tanzania has largely resisted total lockdown measures with President John Pombe Magufuli instead urging the citizens to pray for God’s intervention against the ‘satanic’ coronavirus. Last week, he called for three days of prayer against the virus.
Today, Tanzania recorded at least 30 new cases to take its national tally to 284 cases. There are growing fears among the East African countries that Tanzania’s relaxed measures might prolong efforts of fighting off the pandemic in the region.
Uganda continued to record good gains in the fight against the spread of the novel Coronavirus as seven more patients were discharged from Entebbe Grade B hospital on Wednesday April 22 evening.
The development brings Uganda’s total recoveries to 45.
Those discharged were handed certificates of recovery by junior Health Minister Robinah Nabbanja at the Mulago Hospital and Entebbe Grade B where they had been admitted.
She said they will now undergo psychosocial support before being reintegrated back into the community.
All first patients who fully recovered from the coronavirus were treated using the controversial hydroxychloroquine drug that is yet to be approved by the World Health Organisation, according to Dr. Henry Mwebesa, the Director General Health Services at the Education Ministry.