Coronavirus – U.S: Arrivals from Brazil banned from entering the United States due to COVID-19

Coronavirus – U.S: Arrivals from Brazil banned from entering the United States due to COVID-19

Spread the love

The United States has barred arrivals from Brazil, the country with the second-highest number of cases in the world after the US.

Brazil has recorded more than 360,000 cases, the country’s health ministry announced on Sunday, while over 22,000 people have died with the virus.

A White House spokeswoman said the restrictions would help ensure new cases are not brought into the US.

“Today’s action will help ensure foreign nationals who have been in Brazil do not become a source of additional infections in our country,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said in a statement.

Non-Americans who have been in Brazil in the two weeks before they request entry to the US will be denied that entry. The restriction will not affect trade between the two countries.

The suspension is to take effect on May 28 at 23:59 EDT (03:59 GMT).

The National Security Adviser Robert O’Brien told CBS’s Face the Nation programme that he hopes that it will be temporary, but because of the situation in Brazil, they are going to take every step necessary to protect the American people.

Writing on Twitter, Filipe Martins, a foreign affairs adviser to President Jair Bolsonaro played down the move saying the ban was “nothing specific against Brazil” and the US was following “preciously established parameters”. 

US President Donald Trump suggested earlier last week that he was considering imposing a ban on travel from Brazil.

The US currently leads the world in coronavirus cases. It has over 1.6 million known cases and is nearing 100,000 deaths linked to the virus.

Hits: 1


Spread the love