Friday, September 30, 2022
HomeAfricaThe Telegraph The Telegraph:Tyson Fury's cousin stabbed to death Telegraph Sport -

The Telegraph The Telegraph:Tyson Fury’s cousin stabbed to death Telegraph Sport –


Tyson Fury has called on the Government to “bring back higher sentencing for knife crime” after his cousin was fatally stabbed in an alleged attack.

Tyson Fury's cousin stabbed to death as heavyweight champion calls for knife crime crackdown - AFP

© AFPTyson Fury’s cousin stabbed to death as heavyweight champion calls for knife crime crackdown – AFP

Fury posted a statement on his social media platforms revealing that his cousin, Rico Burton, was the alleged victim of a knife attack during the early hours of Sunday morning.

According to Manchester Evening News, Greater Manchester Police are investigating a murder understood to be a stabbing that took place in Altrincham on Sunday morning. Police said that a man in his 30s had died and that a 17-year-old boy was also taken to hospital with what they said were ‘serious’ injuries. Manchester Evening News reports that Burton was the man killed in the alleged attack.

Writing on his Instagram page, Fury said: “My cousin was murdered last night, stabbed in the neck.

“This is becoming ridiculous – idiots carry knives. This needs to stop.”

Fury called on the Government to “bring back higher sentencing for knife crime”, and added: “It’s a pandemic. You don’t know how bad it is until it’s one of your own.

Related video: Tyson Fury eyes up acting career after stepping away from boxing: ‘Who knows?’


“Life is very precious and it can be taken away very quick. Enjoy every moment.

“RIP Rico Burton – may the lord God grant you a good place in heaven, see you soon.”

A Greater Manchester Police spokesperson said: “Police are appealing to the public for further information after two males were stabbed outside a bar in Altrincham. Shortly after 3am this morning (Sunday 21 August 2022), Police were called to reports of two males having been stabbed outside a bar on Goose Green, Altrincham.

“Emergency services attended the scene. Two men were rushed to hospital with serious and life changing injuries. A 31-year-old male has sadly passed away a short time later in hospital. A 17-year-old male also remains in hospital with serious injuries.

“A 21-year-old male was arrested at the scene on suspicion of section 18 assault and remains in custody. A murder investigation has been launched and would like to appeal to members of the public who have any further information regarding this incident.”

Fury hasn’t fought since April, when he beat Dillian Whyte at Wembley Stadium and announced his retirement from competitive boxing.

Few believe that Fury will not step foot in the ring again with Oleksandr Usyk, speaking in the immediate aftermath of his world title defence against Anthony Joshua, throwing down a challenge to the Briton to come out of retirement and fight him for the undisputed world heavyweight boxing title.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular