New quake hits Indonesia’s Lombok as death toll from first tremor tops 300

Spread the love

LOMBOK, Indonesia

An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.2 hit Indonesia’s Lombok island on Thursday, less than a week after a 6.9-magnitude tremor that is believed to have killed more than 300 people.

Thursday’s earthquake struck just after midday, sending panicked residents into the streets. According to information from Indonesia’s meteorology agency the epicentre of the quake was 6km north-west of the island with a depth of 12 meters.

Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, the spokesman for the national disaster agency, said that there was “public panic” on Thursday as people ran from their homes as they felt the latest tremor. “The public are still traumatised by the quake before,” he said. Initial footage posted by Sutopo on Twiter showed indications of further damage to buildings and power lines.

The death toll for Sunday’s earthquake is still climbing and unclear. Officials and organisations including the military, the governor of the province that includes Lombok, the national search and rescue agency and the regent of North Lombok have issued different death tolls, ranging from 226 to 381.

Lombok had already been hit by a 6.4 quake on 29 July that killed 17 people and briefly stranded several hundred trekkers on the slopes of the volcano, Mount Rinjani.